Monday, July 25, 2011

Rock of Love...

Pictured here is my high school Journalism teacher. She is a rock star, not because she's standing beside Bret Michaels of Poison/Rock of Love, etc. etc. but because she's standing beside him as his former English teacher. Yes, we went to the same high school but he was younger. I'm sure she touched his life like she touched mine.

She and I have stayed in touch over the 30 plus years since I left high school (and she looks the same as she did 30+ years ago!). She always wanted to be an actress and eventually was one, but I think teaching was her true calling.

Mrs. Rowe, or Linda as we can now call her, caught up with my blog the other day and said "Wow, you're writing is beautiful." Well of course it is, I learned from the best! So for those of you who have enjoyed my writing, my love of writing was nurtured and encouraged by this amazing teacher. My days spent on the high school newspaper staff were some of the funnest times in my life - taking on the administration for editorial freedom; meeting friends for life; and learning the power of creative expression.

There have been many teachers who positively impacted me over the years, but none so much as her. Writing has been my life line during difficult situations in my life...it is so cathartic to get it all out there. High school wasn't always an easy time in life, but she was indeed a Silver Lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment