Saturday, July 9, 2011

Happy would have been 48 Lauri

Bittersweet day. Home and feeling on the mend...better living through chemistry. Feeling lots of love and support...thank you! When I tell you it is these small gestures of support with big love I mean it. I would trade my Tiffany ring for it (but who would get it?).

Pete's UVA engineering degree is paying high dividends. He has already found a way to get me cleaned up. Omg it's the simple things in life that bring you the most joy, Clean at last! The drain thing is under control and this healincomfort.com shirt is making things way easier. Pete has rigged the recliner so I have a remote..we are hunkered down at home. So much better than the hospital even though Baylor Spa is a great place.

I am in total love with my plastic surgeon. When I asked if he brought his "A" game he told me he didn't have a B game and it often drives people crazy. Not me..he was able to use my skin for the reconstruction without having to take my back muscle. Recovery will be easier. There are expanders stretching out my skin and I will go through a several week process to blow up the area and then the permanent perky implant is inserted. Nipples are tattooed on after the permanent implants go in so it seems my life Does have a tat in its future. Never say never.

My pathology report will not be back for a week so keep the no nodes chanting going. I think the universe is listening.

I must say I expected to feel some mourning for the girls. But I'm actually enjoying the smaller size. A little bruised and battered right now but I can see perky in my future. My only pain has been a tugging feeling on my right side, but I'm calling on my years of Pilates practice to help me move and breathe to avoid pain.Thanks Laura...can't wait to get back to it!

I woke up at 1:11 am remembering that today would have been my sister's 48th birthday - it doesn't seem possible that it's been over 4 years since she's been gone. She and I shared this disease for so many years, until she lost the fight. How many times I've wanted to ask her about her experience, get advice or just say F cancer. I miss you Laur and will keep fighting to end this disease or make it better for those less fortunate.

It's also my amazing cousin's wedding day today and I'm sad to miss it..she is a c survivor too. Pittsburgh: we are family! That's me with you dancing the night away! A toast to Ali and Carlos to make time for the important things in life and to always find the silver linings.

Here are mine:
Bendy straws
Hand held showers and camping chairs
Facebook-yes I fought it but it has helped me stay connected
Watermelon ...crisp and cool for a record breaking Texas heat wave

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better Terri and you made it home where everything is always better. :) Pete has done a great job with the blog and taking care of you. He is a keeper! Please let me know if you need anything I am maybe the closest. Take care and try to enjoy your weekend. I wish I could have known your sister. I know she is proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noticed 11:11 yesterday as I started the HHI Rugby bike ride for BC.
    :)

    ReplyDelete