Sunday, July 10, 2011

Drain(ed)

Necessity is the mother of invention and thank God for this invention from healincomfort.com the same place that invented the mastectomy shirt with the hidden pockets and velcro closures I blogged about earlier. This is sort of a Terri the Tool Man kind of look, but your pesky drains fit in here and then you can hide your shirt over the construction belt. I have a drain from both of my incision sites under my arm...this is really the only thing hurting and it's not like #10 pain or anything...it's like a tugging kind of occasional pain. I just have to say ouch and readjust my body recalling pilates stances - then it's all good.

Day 2 at home. I have been able to be up and about most of today; eating regularly and had a great night's sleep after I discovered that I cannot, I repeat cannot take two pain pills. Although the doctor said I could take two, I definitely SHOULDN'T...really weird dreams, narcotic hangover...maybe this is what tripping is like. I don't know - I missed that part of the 70s but I definitely didn't like it. For those of you who tried to peer pressure me 30 years ago, glad I passed. Missed nothing.

Listening to new Foo Fighters - thanks my music friend BB - awesome recovery music!

Had visits yesterday and today - nice to see you!

On the news front - I GOT NOTHIN'. I go back to see the plastic surgeon next week to see if one or both drains can be removed. Once they are producing 30 ml or less per day, they are goners. This takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks - depending on what your body is doing. The drains are using gravity to pull bodily fluids away from your incision, avoiding hematomas, lessening infection and other nasty things - a great invention for surgery recovery.

No pathology for about another week too...

Silver linings:
Sometimes a no news day is the best kind. Who else is tired of Casey Anthony?

1 comment: