Sunday, May 29, 2011

What Matters

Almost everything that matters to me is piled into this old car...Two generations, filled with towels and toys, snacks, sweat and smiles for a simple outing to the pool. My heart is smiling and I am transported to the days at my grandma's house - playing monopoly, going to the pool, hanging out with my aunts and uncles. I am reliving days with my children at their grandparent's home - golf ball hunting, singing with Greg Russell under the tree in Hilton Head, walking to the pool or the beach, driving in Grandma's convertible. All these little life moments and memories MATTER. They make us who we are. They show us how to love and to give and to smile..how to cry and console...how to live!

If there is one thing that a cancer diagnosis teaches you it's figuring out what matters. My first cancer diagnosis and losing my mom and sister to cancer taught me that we are only promised today. These past nine years have been filled with amazing adventures - a marathon, a triathlon, skiing, snowshoeing, a world series game, concerts in faraway places, a trip to Italy and countless trips to amazing places with amazing friends and family. I vowed to say yes to every adventure that came my way (except for jumping out of a plane, that still has no appeal for me!!). If I lost my life tomorrow, I would have lived each day like I wanted with no regrets.

In Cancer II, I am cherishing moments like the one pictured here. Simple memories being present with everyone I love.

Silver Linings:
Figuring out what matters (PS: it's not a BMW, or a big house, or any kind of bling)

2 comments:

  1. it's amazing what we learn later in life...if we knew then what we know now life would be different...aj

    ReplyDelete