Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Breast Books...

Since I didn't have a mastectomy in Cancer I, I guess I overlooked this gem of a memoir...a 27 year old with breast cancer writing about her experience in "Why I Wore Lipstick to my Mastectomy". I can't imagine facing that decision at the age of 27 and it's the latest addition to my cancer reading collection.

There are other books that I think are excellent resources when someone has been diagnosed with cancer; a word of warning: some people really don't want to know. But if they or you do...

"It's Not About the Bike," Lance Armstrong - this book is so motivational. When you look at what he accomplished AFTER his low chance of survival rate cancers, you feel like Rocky. Or Lance Armstrong.

"Love, Medicine and Miracles," Dr. Bernie Siegel. Dr. Bernie is a medical doctor who has studied Exceptional Cancer Patients - people who survived despite the odds. He has a couple of other books too. Read them for hope and inspiration.

Dr. Susan Love's "Breast Book" - this is the "bible" of breast cancer, in my opinion. It explains a lot about breasts and cancer, if you feel like knowing. It's my go-to book to decipher pathology reports and diagnoses. It's a medical book written for the non-Dr.

"The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook," by Kathy Steligo. This has been invaluable in my understanding of reconstruction options; written by women for women.

"Bald in the Land of Big Hair: A True Story," by Joni Rogers. This book is as hysterical as cancer can be, especially for us Texas gals.

And of course, "Promise Me," by Nancy Brinker, (my heroine) whose love for her sister, Susan G. Komen, started a pink phenomenon. I'm proud to be part of the amazing Komen sisterhood.

How about you? Got a cancer or cancer inspired book suggestion?


No comments:

Post a Comment