Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Third Time's a Charm(er)

Dear Diary:

So excited...met Dr. Right today!! Everything about him and his office was smart. Professional. Warm. Great recommendations from my other survivor sisters. Only one little flaw with Dr. Right...he insists that I do have enough tummy for the DIEP surgery . This is the surgery where they take your stomach fat and blood vessels and create new breasts with your own fat. So thanks for all the offers of tummy fat...but apparently I have enough of my own (I seriously doubted that silver lining).

However, Dr. Right does not do this surgery...he says that it's one for hotshot young microsurgeons and he is getting me into see what he considers the best soon. Then I get to pick my surgical procedure and my own Mc. Steamy plastic surgeon. Either way, I feel like I'm in good hands. Once decision is made 3-4 weeks until we schedule the surgery.

DOWNSIDES to DIEP: It's an 11-12 hour surgical procedure (vs. 6-8 on the Dorsi Flap); longer hospital stay; longer recovery

UPSIDES TO DIEP: It's one major surgery with fewer follow ups; your own fat=softer girls; better ability to play sports

Life Lesson: Always seek a number of opinions so you can feel confident and well armed with your decision making. Just because they're doctors, doesn't mean they know you or everything! Talk to people! Read! Make informed decisions. They are ground control...you are Major Tom.

Silver Linings: BOGO - Tummy Tuck plus perkier breasts covered by insurance (mostly)

4 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo...on the road to the most perfect Dr. Right & perfect ta-ta's...which, by the way, you deserve!! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good just let me know when and what I can do to help. Miss you T.Swain

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're in good hands! I think I told you that my friend was a tad disappointed that she wasn't quite as perky as she hoped she'd be with that tummy fat.....but....everyone's different, and you sure have done your homework. You've got a great professional team! Love ya, Terri! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it would be super wonderful if this was entirely elective, but its at least SOMETHING to look forward to! I want to be on the care team, I make a mean lemon pie! xo, lo

    ReplyDelete