Sunday, May 15, 2011

Diving into the Deep but not the DIEP

I have my last plastic surgeon interview on Tuesday and then I must pick Dr. Right and the Right Reconstruction option. Because I had radiation during Cancer I, my skin and breast tissue have issues that will complicate reconstruction and limit my options. Additionally (per last post) I don't have enough fat (WHAT??) for some of the flap reconstructions and have scar tissue in my abdominal area from prior surgeries. So it looks like I will be doing the Latissimus Dorsi Flap where they will reconstruct using the flat muscle in the back and use implants. Thanks for all the referrals to plastic surgeons...I have limited them to those who work well with my breast surgeon and oncology team, operate out of Baylor Dallas and whose work I have personally seen (thanks Girls for sharing your works of art with me!).

After I pick Dr. Right, he will coordinate surgery with my breast surgeon. Ladies who I've shared Dr. Grant with, we're back together again. He's my boyfriend now and he is simply the best.

Surgery should take place within 3-4 weeks - will keep you posted on the date. I will probably be in the hospital a few days (Baylor Dallas). Any additional treatment plan will be determined after tissue is biopsied. This is pretty major surgery but I have been gathering lots of post mastectomy/reconstruction tips - keep them coming. We did purchase a Lazy Boy Recliner with a push button (who knew?) in case sleeping in bed is difficult. I will be having surgery on both my back (to take the muscle) and my chest to take the girls. When I asked the best method for sleeping - I was told upside down!!!

Now, for the art...I've been looking for something to hang in my master bathroom and wanted something large, with a water theme. My sister connected me to a gallery in Hilton Head Island and this specific piece which is on copper. I fell in love with it and now it is mine! Not only are the colors and the composition amazing, I loved the symbolism of diving into the deep water, which is exactly how I feel. The gallery owner told me that the artist did this piece when his daughter was going through a difficult time. Guess what? She surfaced!! As will I. A friend reminded me about the beauty that you find at the bottom of the ocean floor and how bright and sunny the world looks once you emerge from it. Yes.

SILVER LININGS: New Art! New Furniture!

3 comments:

  1. I am thinking about T Swain. Love your writing. You should seriously write a book ... you are funny, real, thought provoking, honest and inspirational. Hang in there kid... Anna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this Blog is the start to a fabulous book. I love the painting and all it symbolizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You're always on my mind, girl..............

    Tin Man

    ReplyDelete