Friday, June 3, 2011

Pimp My C (or why I share)

Anyone who's ever been down the bumpy road called cancer knows that the experience can be isolating. So much chatter in your head - real and imagined - that no one really understands. Unless you've been down C Road yourself.

One of the greatest gifts of "Cancer I" was family and friends and total strangers, friends of friends, who reached out to me. Who shared. Who helped quiet the voices in my head. Who allowed me to express my fears and said "I know...but next year this will be a memory. I promise." You all know who you are and believe me when I tell you it was all these small gestures - advice emails, dr. referrals, experience sharing and connecting me to other people that helped me feel less isolated from the Non-C world. Thank you.

So now is the time for my cosmic payback. In Cancer II, I've agreed to share my story in a very public way. To make it count. To let others walking down the pink brick road know they are not alone -that the lions, and tigers and bears are REAL but that there is no place like hope. That the great and powerful "OZ-cologist" will help get you back to Kansas or Texas or your children - wherever home is for you. But most of all, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There are an army of people out there who are surviving and thriving and fighting for a world without breast cancer.

Pictured here are my co-surviving sons and niece who were part of a Komen Dallas photo shoot. We are all inspired to fight this together. Baring my soul and (eeeek) my breasts (oh yes I did while I still have them; good thing the boys were late to the shoot) to the world...PEACE OUT...Terri

Silver linings:
New pink friends for life!
A professional photo shoot - please photo shop air brush that A cup tummy

No comments:

Post a Comment