Thursday, June 23, 2011

Who says you can't go home?

It was great escaping the Texas heat to the cooler temps of my hometown, Mechanicsburg, PA last week. The little town I grew up in has an annual Jubilee Day celebration. It's basically a street fair that was a really big deal when you were a kid...especially those pre-teen days when you hoped that a special boy would ask you to go and he would buy you the leather bracelet with your name burned into it. Well, no leather bracelets anymore and I could buy many of them now if I wanted! How times change...and yet, how they stay the same.

Catching up with old friends is grounding. They know where you've been, what you struggled with and were responsible for helping to create "you." It also reminds you how we are all connected. While there, we participated in the Relay for Life. I was honored and touched to have my very own Luminaria on the track that we spotted about 5 laps in (pictured). My Class of 79 buddies you are the greatest. Thanks for the past memories and for the recent ones.
In my life, I've loved you all....

POOF: Now back to reality. I returned to sweltering 110 degree heat and winds that were causing a wildfire hazard. Kind of feels like my life right about now....tossing and turning in the dryer. I have my pre-admission appointment next week and then July 6 is Surgery Date. I won't lie, I am not looking forward to it and yes, I am scared, worried, etc. Waiting is typically worse than the actual event but I am so thankful to have had this time to process, hang out with Liliana and my family and my friends. Getting my game face on!

Silver linings:
Thankful that my mom and dad picked a great place to raise me...then were adventurous enough to go out in the world and give me my traveling sense of adventure.

Old friends - thanks for joining me and our group date to Jubilee Day/ETC. Half a century. WOO HOO We made it!!!


1 comment:

  1. Reading your blogs is just so wonderful. All I can say, Terri, is I love you! We will all be praying and sending good vibes your way on July 6th. Love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete