Monday, June 13, 2011

Cancer is a marathon not a sprint...

One of the greatest "gifts" of cancer is meeting amazing people who share a similar experience, obviously put on your path for a reason. Sometimes I feel we're like our own runaway cells looking for a safe home. During C1, I met amazing "strangers" turned great friends because we were able to share our experience. C2 is proving the same...new amazing people are popping up in my life and I know we'll be friends for life.

One such new friend has served as a good reminder: Don't forget about us!! We're running an ultra-marathon without any instant energy; our water supply is low and we need you. When someone is first diagnosed, there is an outpouring of love, encouragement, bath and body (ok we covered that in an earlier post), cards, letters, etc. Everyone is there, almost to a fault. As C wears on and we wear out, the crowd thins. You are probably thinking we are tired, we are sick, we need our space. YOU ARE RIGHT. But we also need to know you are still there, cheering us on even if the sag wagon has to drag our butt in. Even just a short email to say: I'm thinking of you. Anything you need? (and mean it...because we might ask you to come to Chemo Show and Tell with us). And we, C patients, need to learn to ask for help, visits, cards, email,etc.
Here's the caring bridge site for Clare Davis - John is a fellow teammate on my 3 day walk this year (hoping I will be able to do it in November). He's been writing this blog from the perspective of a husband. Stop on over and give Clare some encouragement...she's at mile 13.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/claredavis

As for me, I'm just hanging out in the back of the starting line with the slow pokes, enjoying the scenery. My marathon starts July 6 with surgery that will take longer than it took for me to complete the Nike Women's Marathon (pictured here with my bestie). I walked this marathon to celebrate 3 years cancer free.

Silver linings:
Make new friends, but keep the old ones...one is silver and the other gold.

New friend, husband of Clare, developed a spreadsheet for tracking drainage that he shared with me!! I know Pete will be all over this. More about drainage later.



2 comments:

  1. Saw your Dad when we were in HH recently.....I told him you are such an inspiration and such a talented writer. He smiled that sheepish "Dad smile" and said, "I know!"

    ReplyDelete