Saturday, October 22, 2011

You Matter More Than You Will Ever Know....

Mom and Me - First Flight


I had a busy day all mapped out today but it seemed the Universe had a different idea and I decided to follow.  All around me were strong feelings of presence by my mom and my sister.  Then my niece texted that she was having trouble starting her car and it took an hour and then she looked up and the car that was helping her was registered in 11/11 - it started.  Her mom, my sister, believed that when the numbers 111 were present it meant an angel was watching...and she used to see those numbers on cars. A LOT. 


Sometimes I feel that they are both saying LOOK! WE ARE HERE!  And today it made me sad because for all the cancer advocacy I do, and my desire to make a difference, what I really want to shout to the world is "MY MOM MATTERED. MY SISTER MATTERED." And I want them here to laugh with and hang out with, rather than mourn. Both met such untimely young cancer deaths.  My mom was 62. Two months before her ovarian cancer diagnosis, she beat every single one of us at tennis.  She didn't get to experience full retirement or the joy of becoming a great-grandmother.  


My sister was 43. She still had a 12 year old daughter at home and had two young daughters on the edge of becoming phenomenal women.  She didn't get to see her daughter bloom into a beautiful teenager driving for the first time;  the joy of a child's wedding or the birth of her first grandchild; or her entrepreneurial daughter make it big in the world (can I say it?...she is DJing  a party featuring a very famous HOT actor tonight!).
 Lauri and Me..Thanksgiving in HHI




So I hope when you see me on TV talking about early detection, or you read my blog, or you admire my strength in adversity - I want you to know that I got it from a wonderful role model and person - my Mom, Jeanne Swain - and from the inspiration of my sister Lauri Swain Campbell, my fellow breast cancer warrior.  I want you to know that I do it to honor their memories and to make their lives count.  I really believe they are with me and hope that by making a difference, I am making them proud.


Interestingly as I am writing this, niece #2 just called to share a story of a young friend, age 32, just diagnosed with breast cancer and she wants to help. HELLO LAURI - you are working hard today at getting all of us to see you. WE DO.


Sometimes the silver linings of cancer are tear stained...lives lost are tragic and sad; but lives that inspire others to make a difference turn that sadness into a brilliant burst of graceful giving. My wish is that every one of you reading this will inspire or be inspired by someone else to make a difference.


“The world is not interested in what we do for a living. What they are interested in is what we have to offer freely - hope, strength, love and the power to make a difference! ” Sasha Azevedo (with thanks to Robin Rice for that quote today - yes Mom, I am listening).

No comments:

Post a Comment