Tuesday, October 11, 2011

50/50

Even though the movie "50/50" was a little close to home and a bit hard to watch at times - there were smiles, tears and a lot of REAL in this movie. I highly recommend it. Seth Rogen is Seth Rogen - at times his humor is crude but this movie does a great job of capturing what it's like not only for the person going through it but for the co-survivors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaJET7mD0M

I especially love the scene when he wants to talk about dying but no one will let him - assuring him he will "be ok." A complete melt down.  It reminded me of my own blog on said subject.

http://terrisilverlinings.blogspot.com/2011/09/l-word.html

Is anyone else following "The Big C" on Showtime?  This is another great, great TV series that captures what it's like to go through a Cancer diagnosis.  The season closer was a shocker with a great message. Ah, it seems cancer has come fully out of the closet.  We can laugh about it. And people live!

Back to my own Big C...life has turned mainly back to normal. I am training for the Komen 3 day in November and completed a 15 mile walk Saturday. It was tiring but I felt good.  Don't worry my worrying relatives, I'm not pushing myself too hard. We did three five mile hikes with plenty of rest, water and nutrition.  It feels so good to be physically active and I thank my parents for instilling a life long love of physical activity.  Endorphins don't flow in me unless I am outside and physical!

Once again in life, I bought my first bra. I don't really think I need one for its intended purpose but there are certain clothes needing something underneath. Just saying. God Bless the salespeople at Nordstrom -  you can just tell them what you are looking for and why. They don't give you sad eyes or act like it's anything out of the normal...they just direct you to  2-3 and don't let you leave until you find one that works.  And for the first time in my life, I'm a B!!!  And I love that.  I've been able to go down a shirt size on top and many bra sizes.  I know I know. We always want what we don't have right and possibly TMI.

This experience reminded me of getting my first bra.  Dang, I didn't want that thing.  I was a Tom boy who loved running, biking, playing softball and tackle football with the boys in the neighborhood.  I didn't want anything that made me different than my friend boys.  And then bicycling down the road, Kathy V lifted up her top and showed me that she had one and it wasn't too bad.  After this show and tell, we decided to rub poison ivy on our faces so that we didn't have to go to school the next day.  It was a 100/0 proposition of turning out badly.

When you think of it, most days are 50/50.  The silver lining of cancer is making sure you use your days wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment