Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Down on Main Street...

Life is getting back to the new normal..well sort of because it's October and that means all things Komen - speaking engagements; media events and gearing up for Race for the Cure in Dallas.  Our team, Support the War in My Rack (aren't we clever?) is a group of strong warriors trying to make a difference. Last year as a team we raised $25,000 - this year we are shooting for $31,000 and are well on our way to doing so.  We had a kick ass fund raising event last Saturday that raised over $10,000. Tension was high - amid our regular jobs, this group of volunteers pulled together an unbelievably successful, well attended, well run event !  I was proud to be one of us  - thank you amazing SGK team and thank you to all of you who have supported us with all kinds of fabulous donations.

(SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION: WE STILL HAVE VERY COOL T-SHIRTS FOR SALE: $25 - just email me Terri@thehrconsultant.net for more details but they look like this. Props to our amazing team member Lori who pulls out a great shirt every year.)

(OH AND THE BEST PART: The back of the shirt!  The image is actually a little smaller and located in the corner. Very cool.   LOOK! ONLY $25 SOFT ALTERNATIVE APPAREL TRUE TO SIZE T. SIZES: 2XS, XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL - while they last!):

My co-captain Glenna started off as the sister of a long time friend that I played soccer with.  When she received the C news a couple of years back (I'm sure it feels like a distant memory), I was her mentor and shared my Dr. boyfriend with her.  This year, she mentored me back.  During this event, a friend I went to high school with in Taipei, Taiwan stopped by (I know that was like 30 something years ago -  can you believe we ended up living in the same metroplex!).  As it turned out, Glenna used to work with him!  I mean, how does this happen? All throughout the night, friends of friends turned out to be friends of friends that didn't know it.  In this great big world, it makes you stop and wonder about the people who come into your life; the path you take; the paths you cross and how we are part of the great big fabric of the world.

I feel so incredibly lucky to share the planet with these amazing people.


"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it... All things are bound together. All things connect."

~  Chief Seattle 


SUPPORT THE WAR IN MY RACK!  http://dallas.info-komen.org/goto/TSwain

No comments:

Post a Comment