Friday, September 23, 2011

Letter to Liliana

Dear Lili: You probably won't remember this day we had together but it's one I won't forget. Only several weeks fresh from a second cancer diagnosis, having you close by to love, to hold, to laugh with was THE BEST MEDICINE EVER (as people in 2011 like to say).   Together with your daddy, your Uncle Richie, Cousin "Scara" and a few close friends, we did a photo shoot in the hot sun to tell the world that fighting cancer is important.  You and I also went to Fox TV and shot a TV commercial...you liked sitting in the news anchor's desk!  I hope you will always feel that important because you are.

As you grow up, you will come to know that on our side of the family, we have the hereditary BRACA gene mutation.  Hopefully this didn't pass on to you but there is a chance that it did.  So what does this mean for you? It doesn't mean a life of fear, but means that you should be healthy: eat your vegetables, exercise, take care of yourself, go to the doctor and make sure you get your regular check ups.  What does it mean for me? Fighting as hard as I can to see that you will grow up in a world that people will say, "Remember when people got breast cancer? Aren't you glad we figured out a way to cure that?"  I think of you every time I do my part to end it forever or help people going through it.

Grandchildren are absolutely the best silver lining of life.  I'm not so sure we'll find a cure in my lifetime, or your dad's lifetime, but I remain optimistic that you will know a world without breast cancer.

With love,
Grandma Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment