Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Calling All Angels...

We just returned from my cousin's beautiful wedding and connecting with my Swain family relatives - a big Irish Catholic, fun and loving crowd (yes, we drink and get crazy!).  My mom loved family gatherings and felt it was always important to attend weddings, christenings, birthdays, graduations...and to celebrate with great joy - to sing, to dance, to laugh so hard you cried.

It was no surprise Angel Mom traveled with us. Day 1 we got into our Chicago B&B late. I turned on the light switch and right above it was this piece of art - it's a silk chinese print in a bamboo frame.  We had this SAME print in our home in Taiwan.  Does anyone in our family still have this? The proprietor acquired this piece at a church bazaar in the late 70s.  My mom probably got this one in the same time period during one of her travels through the orient when we lived there.  Funny, most of the art in the B&B was religious in nature or Greta Garbo - NOT oriental.


We had a great time at the wedding with the generations, including our old soul but youngest cousin. Thanks for being SWAIN GIRLS with us.  A cancer silver lining: always finding the joy in every occasion.  Meeting other fun people who are no longer strangers.  Hey you guys - if you are reading this YOU ARE FUN!!! Thanks for the shared laughter.

However, Mom wasn't done traveling with us.  We ate at a Thai Restaurant the night before we left.  This art work was hanging in the Thai restaurant:

One just like this hung in our home...a treasure from one of my mom's trips to Bangkok.  I now have it at my house!!

It seems like my mom always shows herself through art or music. My sister Lauri through the numbers 111 (I really meant to write this yesterday on 11/1/11 but the day got away from me...again). My Aunt saw 111 in several instances on her travels to the wedding. Lauri must have been traveling with them.  Mom was with us.

I was on Pandora looking for Jane Siberry's version of "Calling All Angels" to listen to while I wrote this post. It's not on their play list, so instead Sinead O'Connor's I'm Here to Mother You played.  It was appropriate.  Listen and enjoy...I think my mom is still here to mother me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7dRs3KYU0&feature=relmfu

No comments:

Post a Comment